Blog

  • Report: 4 Dead, 8 Hurt as Gunman Opens Fire in Southern Türkiye

    Report: 4 Dead, 8 Hurt as Gunman Opens Fire in Southern Türkiye

    Four people were killed and another eight wounded when a gunman opened fire near the southern Turkish city of Mersin on Monday, the DHA and IHA news agencies reported.

    At least two people were killed when the assailant opened fire at a restaurant, with the two others killed elsewhere and the assailant fleeing in a car, DHA said.

    The shooting occurred near Tarsus, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) northeast of Mersin, prompting a widespread police manhunt to locate the shooter that also involved helicopters, it said.

    There was no immediate comment from police or other officials.

    DHA said the shooter was a 17-year-old armed with a shotgun.

    Among those killed in the shooting were the restaurant owner and one of his employees, IHA said, identifying the other two as a young man grazing livestock and a truck driver.

    The violence came a month after two shooting attacks by teenagers rocked Türkiye.

    In the first incident, 16 people were injured, while the second attack claimed 10 lives, most of them young schoolchildren.

    Original Post

  • Romanians Stabbed Journalist in London at Behest of Iran, UK Court Told

    Romanians Stabbed Journalist in London at Behest of Iran, UK Court Told

    A team of Romanian men, acting as proxies for the Iranian government, carried out a knife attack on a journalist working for a Persian-language media organization in London, prosecutors told a British court on Monday.

    Pouria Zaratifoukolaei, known as Pouria Zeraati, a British journalist of Iranian origin who works for Iran International, was stabbed in the leg three times as he was attacked near his home in Wimbledon, southwest London, in March 2024.

    At the start of the trial of two of the three men accused of carrying out the stabbing, prosecutor Duncan Atkinson said ‌they had targeted ‌Zeraati, whose TV employer is critical of Iran’s government.

    ‘DELIBERATE, PLANNED VIOLENCE’

    “This was no robbery, no fight that got out of control, it was deliberate, planned violence to achieve what it did, that is serious injury to its target,” Atkinson told London’s Woolwich Crown Court.

    They had “committed a planned attack preceded by reconnaissance, and which was ordered by a third party acting on behalf of the Iranian state,” the prosecutor said.

    Iran has denied any involvement in ⁠the incident.

    Nandito Badea, 21, and George Stana, 25, both ‌deny charges of wounding with intent and unlawful ‌wounding. The third man accused of involvement, David Andrei, was arrested in Romania but is not ‌involved in the trial.

    Atkinson said Zeraati was an “obvious and readily identifiable target for ‌violence to be inflicted by proxies” acting for Iran. He said posters had been put up in Tehran in November 2022 featuring pictures of journalists including Zeraati, under the heading “Wanted: dead or alive”.

    “In recent years, since 2005, Iran has turned less to its ‌own operatives and increasingly to use proxies such as criminal gangs to meet their threatened violence on their behalf,” Atkinson ⁠said.

    “That has included ⁠attacks on persons in this country who have become targets of Iranian intimidation and, effectively, terror.”

    Atkinson said Zeraati had been subject to “extensive reconnaissance”, and a year before Stana had been arrested in the garden of his apartment with another man, in possession of latex gloves, scissors and a mask.

    On the day of the attack, Badea and Andrei confronted Zeraati as he crossed the street from his home to his car, the prosecutor said. Andrei held him, while Badea stabbed him at the top of his thigh before they fled to a getaway car driven by Stana, the prosecutor added.

    The men, who were motivated by money, dumped the car and some clothing, and then took a taxi to Heathrow Airport from where they flew to Geneva, Atkinson said.

    The trial, which is expected to last more than two weeks, continues.

    Original Post

  • US Extends Sanctions Waiver on Russian at-Sea Oil by 30 Days

    US Extends Sanctions Waiver on Russian at-Sea Oil by 30 Days

    The US Treasury secretary on Monday said Washington was extending by 30 days its sanctions waiver for Russian oil cargoes already at sea, as global energy prices continue to surge due to the Iran war.

    The latest “temporary 30-day general license” will “provide the most vulnerable nations with the ability to temporarily access Russian oil currently stranded at sea,” Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a social media post.

    Monday’s announcement is the second time US authorities have extended the temporary measure, which is meant to address oil supply shortages sparked by the US-Israel war on Iran.

    Iran’s retaliatory action has targeted US regional allies and virtually blocked the Strait of Hormuz, through which roughly a fifth of the world’s oil and gas supplies normally pass.

    The previous waiver for Russian at-sea oil expired on May 16.

    Global oil prices have spiked since the start of the war, with US consumers feeling the pinch of gasoline costs that are more than 50 percent higher than when the war began.

    The United States first issued a sanctions waiver on Russian oil cargoes that were at sea in March.

    The moves have been criticized by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, whose country has been locked in war with Russia since its 2022 invasion.

    Bessent said the extension would “provide additional flexibility” and “will help stabilize the physical crude market and ensure oil reaches the most energy-vulnerable countries.

    Original Post

  • Iran Arrests Over 4,000 on Charges Related to War, Says Rights Group

    Iran Arrests Over 4,000 on Charges Related to War, Says Rights Group

    Iranian authorities have made more than 4,000 arrests on charges related to the US-Israeli war against the country in a mass crackdown, a US-based rights group said on Monday.

    The Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA) said it had documented at least 4,023 arrests between February 28, when the war started, and May 9.

    Charges included espionage, threats to national security and communicating or sharing content related to the conflict with foreign media, it said.

    “Iranian authorities have used the conflict to intensify national security narratives and justify arrests, restrictions on freedom of expression, and violence against civilians,” it said.

    Meanwhile, Iran’s national police chief Ahmad Reza Radan had said Sunday that more than “6,500 traitors and spies” linked with the “enemy” had been arrested since anti-government protests peaked in January.

    The authorities described the demonstrations as riots and put them down with a crackdown that left thousands dead, according to rights groups.

    “The process of identifying and arresting elements associated with the enemy continues, and the police have not stopped their actions in the field of confronting rioters,” Radan said, quoted by the IRNA news agency.

    There has also been growing alarm over executions in Iran.

    Rights groups have said that since the start of the war, Iran has executed 26 men seen as “political prisoners” — 14 men charged over January protests, one more over 2022 demonstrations and 11 accused of links to banned opposition groups.

    Six men have been hanged by Iran on charges of spying for Israel since the war began, according to reports in Iranian official media.

    HRANA said it had also documented at least 3,636 fatalities, including 1,701 civilians, due to US-Israeli attacks on Iran in the war, which is currently on hold with an uneasy ceasefire.

    Original Post

  • Germany to Deploy Air Defense Unit to Türkiye, Relieving US

    Germany to Deploy Air Defense Unit to Türkiye, Relieving US

    Germany’s armed forces will support Türkiye’s air defense capacities within NATO by deploying a Patriot air and missile defense task force to the ‌country from the ‌end of ‌next ⁠month, the defense ⁠ministry said on Monday.

    The Bundeswehr deployment, currently planned until September 2026, includes one Patriot ⁠battery and around ‌150 ‌German soldiers, who are ‌set to relieve ‌a US unit, the statement said.

    “Germany is taking on more responsibility ‌within NATO,” Defense Minister Boris Pistorius said.

    “The ⁠fact ⁠that our soldiers are coordinating very closely with our Turkish and US partners demonstrates just how reliably our cooperation with our allies works,” he added.

    Original Post

  • Iraqi Foreign Ministry Regrets Attacks that Targeted Saudi Arabia

    Iraqi Foreign Ministry Regrets Attacks that Targeted Saudi Arabia

    The Iraqi Foreign Ministry expressed on Monday its “grave concern” over drone attacks that targeted Saudi Arabia on Sunday, stressing its categorical rejection of any assault against the Kingdom.

    Late Sunday, Saudi Arabia said it had intercepted and destroyed three drones that entered from Iraqi airspace, adding that it “reserves the right to respond at the appropriate time and place.”

    In a statement, the Iraqi ministry underscored the “depth of the brotherly and historic bonds that bind Iraq and Saudi Arabia.”

    It also underlined Baghdad’s constant keenness on bolstering bilateral cooperation in various fields.

    Authorities have opened an investigation “to determine the circumstances surrounding” Sunday’s incident, it added.

    The country’s air defense systems had not detected any drones launched from its territory toward Saudi Arabia, it went on to say.

    The ministry urged Riyadh “to cooperate and share relevant information to help ensure accurate information that strengthen security and stability in both brotherly countries.”

    It stressed “Iraq’s firm position in respecting the security, safety and sovereignty of fraternal countries, rejecting any acts that undermine their stability, threaten their national security and harm bilateral relations.”

    No Iraqi group has claimed responsibility for the drones.

    After the United States and Israel attacked Iran on February 28, and before a ceasefire was announced, Tehran-backed Iraqi groups intervened in support of Iran and struck US facilities in Iraq and the wider region, including Gulf countries.

    Last month, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain and Jordan issued a joint statement demanding that Baghdad act immediately to prevent attacks from its territory by Iran-backed armed groups.

    Iraq has repeatedly said it does not allow its territory to be used in attacks against other countries.

    Original Post

  • Iraqi Kataib Hezbollah Denies Link to Man Charged in US

    Iraqi Kataib Hezbollah Denies Link to Man Charged in US

    The Iran-backed Iraqi group Kataib Hezbollah, denied on Monday that a man accused of plotting attacks in the United States and Europe was a member of the group.

    US authorities on Friday detailed charges against Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood Al-Saadi, 32, who was identified as a senior figure in Kataib Hezbollah, which the US designates as a terrorist organization.

    “The abductee, Mohammaed Baqer al-Saadi does not belong to Kataib Hezbollah,” the group’s security commander Abou Moujahed al-Assaf said in a statement.

    But he added that Saadi “will return to his country with his head held high, because he is among the lovers and supporters of the resistance.”

    According to US court filings, Saadi and unidentified associates planned, coordinated and claimed responsibility for at least 18 attacks in Europe, and two in Canada, including a non-fatal stabbing of two Jewish men in London, and several arson attacks on synagogues in other countries.

    He is most recently alleged to have also plotted attacks in the United States.

    He appeared on Friday at a Manhattan court where he was charged with six counts including conspiracy to provide material support to Kataib Hezbollah and Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).

    A senior Iraqi security source told AFP that Saadi was arrested in Türkiye before being transferred to the US.

    Kataib Hezbollah is part of the umbrella movement known as the “Islamic Resistance in Iraq”, which claimed hundreds of attacks against US interests in Iraq and the wider region during the Middle East war.

    The attacks have ceased since a ceasefire was announced in April.

    The US State Department announced last month that it was offering up to $10 million for information on the group’s leader, Ahmad al-Hamidawi.

    Original Post

  • Lebanon Death Toll Reaches 3,000 in Fighting Between Israel and Hezbollah

    Lebanon Death Toll Reaches 3,000 in Fighting Between Israel and Hezbollah

    The death toll in the latest round of fighting between Israel and the Iranian-backed Hezbollah in Lebanon has surpassed 3,000, Lebanon’s health ministry said Monday.

    The ministry said the toll is now 3,020 in the fighting that has not stopped despite a fragile ceasefire, including 292 women and 211 children. Fighting began on March 2 with the Hezbollah group firing at Israel, two days after the US and Israel attacked Iran.

    Israel has since invaded southern Lebanon and bombarded the capital, Beirut, and other areas, saying it is targeting Hezbollah efforts to rearm. Hezbollah has resisted pressure, including by the Lebanese government, to disarm.

    More than a million people have been displaced in Lebanon by the fighting, with some sheltering in tents along roads and the sea in Beirut. Israel, meanwhile, has struggled to halt frequent Hezbollah drone attacks.

    Groundbreaking direct talks between Israel and Lebanon, facilitated by the United States, produced the ceasefire that began on April 17 and has been extended into June. The neighbors have been officially in a state of war since Israel was created in 1948.

    Hezbollah, however, is not part of the talks.

    Israeli officials have focused on disarming Hezbollah and described the negotiations as a precursor to a potential normalization of diplomatic relations. Lebanese officials have said they seek a security agreement or armistice that would stop short of normalization.

    US President Donald Trump has publicly called for a meeting between Lebanese President Joseph Aoun and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, while Aoun has declined to meet or speak directly with Netanyahu at this stage — a move that would likely generate blowback in Lebanon, where talks with Israel were met with protests.

    Twenty Israeli soldiers, two Israeli civilians inside Israel and a defense contractor working in southern Lebanon have been killed on the Israeli side.

    UN peacekeeping forces in southern Lebanon have also been caught in the crossfire and six have been killed.

    Original Post

  • Kylie Minogue Looks Back on Life in Pop Music in New Documentary

    Kylie Minogue Looks Back on Life in Pop Music in New Documentary

    Kylie Minogue opens ‌up about her life in pop music for new documentary “KYLIE”, looking back on her career as well as the personal challenges she has faced, such as the scrutiny when she was starting out and overcoming breast cancer.

    The three-part series, which premieres on Netflix on Wednesday, sees the “Spinning Around” and “Padam Padam” singer share videos and photos from her personal archive and talk about her rise to stardom.

    “Oh, there were surprises ‌left, right and ‌center, like ‘Ooh, er, no, yes, ‌that ⁠was good. That ⁠should never have happened’. Like, there was worlds within worlds within worlds of the archive,” Minogue told Reuters on making the docuseries.

    “A nice surprise is that I can kind of recognize myself from the beginning … I don’t know that I’ve changed that ⁠much. My level of experience has changed… ‌But I can see … ‌the seed of who I was and I think that’s ‌really moving.”

    Minogue, 57, first starred on Australian ‌soap “Neighbours” in the 1980s before kicking off her music career with hits such as “The Loco-Motion” and “I Should Be So Lucky”. She has gone on to sell more than 80 ‌million records worldwide and has won numerous awards, including two Grammys.

    In the docuseries, she ⁠talks ⁠about success but also about the scrutiny and criticism she faced early in her career, being diagnosed with breast cancer in 2005, as well as her personal relationships. There are also interviews with her sister, singer Dannii Minogue, her former “Neighbours” co-star Jason Donovan and singer Nick Cave.

    “I just go with my gut. I go with what’s inspiring me at the time. I think whatever I do depends on what I’ve done previously,” she said on reinventing herself during her career.

    Original Post

  • PSG’s Dembele Has Treatment for Leg Issue Before Champions League Final

    PSG’s Dembele Has Treatment for Leg Issue Before Champions League Final

    Paris Saint-Germain forward Ousmane Dembele needs treatment for a right calf issue, the French club said Monday, ahead of the Champions League final against Arsenal later this month.

    The Ballon d’Or winner was substituted after half an hour during Sunday’s 2-1 Ligue 1 defeat against Paris FC “as a precaution after experiencing some discomfort in his right calf,” PSG said in a statement.

    “Dembele will be having treatment over the next few days,” the club added.

    The 29-year-old did not appear to be struggling when he left the field and boarded the team bus after the match without limping.

    “I think it is just due to fatigue,” coach Luis Enrique told the press on Sunday.

    “It has been a tricky end to the season but now we have two weeks to prepare for the biggest match in our history.”

    The former Barcelona player has suffered numerous physical setbacks this season, particularly thigh and calf issues.

    Meanwhile, Achraf Hakimi resumed individual training on Saturday after a thigh problem, as did Willian Pacho, Nuno Mendes, and Lucas Chevalier.

    All three were unavailable for Sunday’s match against Paris FC.

    PSG clinched a fifth straight French title, and a record-extending 14th overall, with a 2-0 win over nearest challengers Lens last Wednesday.

    Luis Enrique’s side face Arsenal in Budapest on May 30, when they will attempt to retain the European crown they won for the first time in the club’s history last season.

    Original Post